In the spirit of the holiday season and the strong desire to be held accountable by someone other than myself for the goals I have in mind, I decided to post my list of New Years resolutions here. This time next year, I will come back to this post and see how well I did. These goals are not all writing related and are in no particular order. In fact, I may add to it as I think of new goals over the next couple of days.
- Sign a contract with an agent.
- Go to the gym three times a week.
- Sell a short story to a magazine.
- Complete rough drafts of books two, three, and four of the Fallen series.
- Begin work on a new book project.
- Sell Fallen to an American publishing house.
- Completely reorganize my house.
- Start printing pictures and putting them into albums.
- Develop a writing schedule.
- Post in Incandescent at least twice a month.
- Buy a good laser printer.
This is an ambitious list and, though I hope I can accomplish it all, I will be happy if 90% are able to be checked off before 2009.
If you would like to join me in my quest to beat personal demons like procrastination and laziness, here’s what you should do. Make a list like the one I have above with goals you know you can accomplish (going to the gym and developing a writing schedule are examples from my list) as well as goals that will take a great deal of work to complete (like finishing two and a half books this year). Once you have your list, give a copy to a friend and keep one for yourself, preferably pinning it somewhere where you will see it every day. When you finish an item, cross it off your list, and, at the end of the year, your friend can check to see how many of your goals you actually finished! And this is by no means limited to only two people. Get a whole group of people involved and you can all keep the others motivated! The more, the merrier! 😀
So, to all those making resolutions for the new year, good luck! Know that I’ll be toiling toward the impossible right there beside you. 😉